Established in 2006, the Arizona Rural Policy Institute (ARPI) at The W. A. Franke College of Business is a University Center, authorized and funded in part by the US Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration (EDA). University Centers improve the economies and economic development capacity of their service areas, with emphasis on economically distressed communities. RPI fulfills this charge by leveraging the vast capabilities of NAU staff, students, facilities, research entities, and other resources. RPI is also a unit of the Center for Business Outreach (CBO), and collaborates extensively with the CBO's other divisions: the Arizona Hospitality Research & Resource Center, the Center for American Indian Economic Development, the Computer Training Center, and the Bureau of Business & Economic Research. RPI also receives funding and support from the City of Flagstaff, Coconino County, and the NAU President's Office.
Arizona Rural Policy Institute (ARPI) helps improve the quality of life
in Arizona's rural communities by conducting policy analysis and
research on a wide spectrum of essential issues and topics. ARPI
publishes research outcomes in policy reports for local, regional, and
statewide dissemination and provides technical assistance to communities
for policy implementation.
Wayne R. Fox is Assistant Dean, Director of the Rural Policy Institute and a member of the accounting faculty at the W.A. Franke College of Business at Northern Arizona University. He has held several positions at NAU since 1983 including Director of the Bureau of Business and Economic Research, Director for the Center for American Indian Economic Development and Director of the Small Business Institute. Fox has served on several boards and committees throughout the state including the Arizona Rural Development Council, Board of Directors of Flagstaff Medical Center, Rural Advisory Committee of the Arizona Community Foundation, Board of Directors of the Arizona Society of CPA’s and is past president of the Arizona Society of CPA’s Foundation for Education and Research. He has authored numerous economic impact and related studies.
Wayne holds undergraduate and graduate degrees in economics and accounting and information systems from the University of California at Los Angeles.
Combrink is the Senior Research Specialist of the Arizona Rural Policy Institute. He brings many years of research in the social sciences and economic impact analysis to this position. Combrink has been at NAU for 20 years, has worked extensively throughout rural Arizona, and published extensively on the economic development of rural tourism. He is a graduate of Michigan State University (M.A., Natural Resource Economics and Tourism).
Jeff is ARPI's Research Associate. Jeff
serves as a research analyst on RPI
projects. He is a
graduate of Northern Arizona University (M.B.A.).
|If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or corrections, please contact us.
Arizona Rural Policy Institute
The W. A. Franke College of Business
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5066
Scope of Activities
- Technical Assistance
- Work Force Development Assistance
- Grant Consultation for Non-Profits
- Tribal Entrepreneurial Training and Strategic
- Market Research and Feasibility Analysis
- Business and Operating Plans
- Information Dissemination
- A Full Cost Accounting of the 2010 Schultz Fire - Read report
- Coconino County Trends - Read report
- Flagstaff and Coconino County Legislative Redistricting Toolkit - Read report
- Financial Analysis and Economic Impact of Northern Arizona University's Athletics Department - Read report
- The Economic Contributions of Northern Arizona University to the State of Arizona in 2010 - Read report
- The Arizona Cardinals NFL Training Camp, 2010: Economic Impact on Coconino County - Read report
- The Economic Impact of the Northern Arizona University Center for Emerging Technologies - Read report
- 2008 Rural Policy Forum
- NACOG Head Start and the UCLA/ Johnson &
Johnson Health Care Institute: A Study of Health Care Savings - Read report
- Analysis of Predatory Lending Practices in Rural Arizona - Read report
- Arizona Philanthropy Indicators - Read summary
- 2007 Rural Policy Forum
- Business Incentives in the Four corner States: Models for Rural Arizona - Read Report
- Southern Apache County Procurement Analysis - Read Report
- Verde Valley Regional Asset Inventory - Read Report
- Workforce Needs of the Four Forests Restoration initiative Project - Read Study
- Economic Impact of Flagstaff Unified School District #1 on the Flagstaff Area Economy - Read Study
- For more research studies visit the Arizona Hospitality Research & Resource Center