The W. A. Franke
College of Business
PO Box 15066
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Welcome to the Professional Program in Accountancy
As an Accounting student in The W. A. Franke College
of Business, you have several options:
- The 4-year Bachelor of Science in Accountancy
- Continuation in to the MBA-Accounting program*
- Continuation as a post-baccalaureate student to earn the 150 hours required for the CPA exam.
* The MBA-Accounting is a competitive program and not all students are guaranteed a place in the class.
There are several benchmarks built in to the Accounting program to ensure that you have the skills needed for success.
- All Accounting students are required to pass a skills assessment before progressing beyond ACC 255 and ACC 256 to ACC 300 and ACC 355. Dates for the skills assessment are listed below. Be sure to take the practice exam. This will help you determine your preparedness for the skills assessment. Students must pass the assessment within three attempts or they will not be allowed to progress in the Accounting curriculum.
- Students must achieve a C or better in ACC 300 and ACC 355 within 3 attempts (including Wâ€™s) to progress to upper division.
- Students cannot receive their BS in Accountancy unless they have completed all of their Accounting courses successfully within 3 attempts (including W) so be careful about withdrawing from courses.
For students who need to brush up on their Principles of Accounting Skills, the
following are suggestions to help you achieve the background needed to pass the
skills assessment exam:
- Review your ACC 255 (or equivalent) course materials. Sample
ACC 255 exams for review can be accessed here (823kb MS Word file).
- If you need additional help, consider searching the Internet
for financial accounting tutorials. For example, several textbooks
have complimentary online student learning websites, such as Cengage
Learning's website for
Financial Accounting (Needles & Powers) and McGraw-Hill's
Financial and Managerial Accounting (Williams, et al.). Other
websites that offer free financial accounting tutorials include:
and MiddleCity Online
- If you still need additional help, or if it has been several
semesters since you took ACC 255 (or equivalent course), consider
repeating the course.
Skills Assessment Dates
- Friday, October 12th at 1 p.m. in FCB 345
- Friday, November 30th at 1 p.m. in FCB 345